Re: paged query slow when fetching big lists

From: Aristedes Maniatis (ar..aniatis.org)
Date: Thu Jun 28 2007 - 23:26:53 EDT

    > Fixed. Now the things are fast on the client as well.

    A final followup on these changes. We've done testing both single
    user and three-tier and the speed improvement is now consistent
    throughout. With the following setup:

    * 1.6Ghz iMac G5
    * Derby database
    * 120,000 records
    * all Cayenne caching is off

    We perform a query which returns 120,000 records and get back a list
    in three-tier which is then used for the table model of a JTable and
    displayed on screen. Timings are for the list to be drawn onscreen
    (only the first page of 30 records are faulted), so many other
    factors (Swing, network speed, Hessian serialising, etc) are in play.

    * before changes: 18-26 seconds
    * after changes: 10 seconds (very consistent)

    Naturally we can improve the application speed by not showing the
    user 120,000 records in one list, but it is nice to know that a user
    choosing "find all" will not hang the application for very long.

    Also, it is worth noting that in our preliminary tests moving the
    client to another similar spec machine on a 10/100 network resulted
    in exactly the same 10 second timing. We will continue to profile our
    app and see where the next most important bottleneck is, but I think
    these changes have been extremely effective. Thanks Andrus.

    Ari Maniatis

    Aristedes Maniatis
    phone +61 2 9660 9700
    PGP fingerprint 08 57 20 4B 80 69 59 E2 A9 BF 2D 48 C2 20 0C C8