Re: paged query slow when fetching big lists

From: Michael Gentry (blacknex..mail.com)
Date: Fri Jun 29 2007 - 09:56:36 EDT

Not to pick on your iMac, which is a nice machine, but the PowerPC
line was notoriously bad at running Java (G5 better than the G4,
obviously). If you tried this on an Intel box, I suspect your speed
improvement would be even better (I'm guessing a good portion of your
10 seconds is in the Java GUI). When I went from a G4 PowerBook to a
MacBook Pro, I saw over an order of magnitude in improvement. Eclipse
actually became usable instead of a lurching monster. (Really,
Andrus, I don't know how you got so much Java work done on your old
PowerBook!) I probably shouldn't ramble before I wake up in the
morning ... :-)

/dev/mrg