ORM Comparison

From: Joe Baldwin (jfbaldwi..arthlink.net)
Date: Thu Aug 09 2007 - 14:23:49 EDT

    This is a general question I would guess at the "use case" level.

    I was recently in a conversation in which I was challenged about the
    selection of Cayenne over Hibernate. I have only researched
    Hibernate & run some elementary demo tests. My conclusion was that
    Hibernate allows you to create a mapping via an XML metadata file but
    that some of the mapping responsibilities (currently found in
    Cayenne) are left to the programmer to resolve and maintain. I
    specifically pointed to Cayenne Modeler as an example of an essential
    tool supporting the 'change it in one place' philosophy that impacts
    maintenance time budgeting.

    It was asserted that Hibernate could do anything that Cayenne could
    do. In addition, the CayenneModeler advantage was dismissed with a
    comment concerning an Eclipse plugin that is supposed to support the
    same features.

    Things change very quickly in the OpenSource world so perhaps I could
    have made a mistake, however, I don't think that I am that far off
    the mark. Is there a white paper that might discuss the differences
    (couldn't find one at the Hibernate site)? Does anyone have an opinion?