Re: ORM Comparison

From: Joe Baldwin (jfbaldwi..arthlink.net)
Date: Thu Aug 09 2007 - 16:47:30 EDT

    Thanks for your comment concerning the large data sets. As I recall,
    EOF choked on large data sets when I was coding Obj-C. I don't know
    what the problem was, but I do recall that there was a hard limit.

    My interest (right now) is primarily with the various methods by
    which Entities & Relationships can be mapped using the two different
    tools and then how much capability is offered using the two different
    (or perhaps not so different) persistence-management models. My
    *current* understanding is that Cayenne is very similar to EOF and
    relies upon the CayenneModeler to: create/analyze/reverse-engineer
    (or any combo) resulting in cayenne metadata (xml files),
    instantiated DBMS schema, and auto-generated Java persistence
    classes. Whereas Hibernate relies on a raw (hand edited) xml-
    metadata file, but also supports the xdoclet POJO mapping (which
    *appears* to support/require that the objects be maintained by
    programmer)

    Also, if I understand correctly, Cayenne may have a tad more elegant
    and mature persistence architecture (guessing on this one because I
    am not an EOF expert).

    The advantage of EOF and EOF Modeler was the maturity of the
    architecture with respect to managing the DataContext-layer as well
    as it was a central hub for instantiation of an abstract Entity-
    Relationship model. I have not been able to verify if Hibernate
    "groks" this way of being used or not. Cayenne certainly does.