Re: Databinding library released

From: Florijan Stamenkovic (flor38..ac.com)
Date: Mon Jan 21 2008 - 18:49:26 EST

    Andrus,

    On Jan 21, 2008, at 16:55, Andrus Adamchik wrote:

    > Hi Florijan,
    >
    > Nice work.
    >
    > Cayenne ROP (http://cayenne.apache.org/doc/remote-object-
    > persistence-guide.html) is the remoting technology that allows to
    > do things similar to JavaClient, although it deals exclusively with
    > persistent objects remoting, leaving the task of binding data to a
    > UI up to the coder.

    WebObjects was better at it, provided some UI binding capabilities,
    BUT, some people (myself included) thought a different approach was
    better.

    > Now a bindings framework can go a long way in making Swing usable.
    > I took a shot at creating one a few years ago, but that effort got
    > canceled due to the lack of time. I am glad somebody else did it
    > for me :-)

    This work is a consequence of me being in exactly the same position
    as you. A year and a half ago I started with connecting raw Swing and
    WebObjects. Over time this evolved into JBND.

    > It would be interesting to hear how that works with Cayenne (ROP,
    > or just straight client-server Swing app).

    It would be required for an interested Cayenne person to implement
    two interfaces (org.jbnd.DataObject and org.jbnd.DataType), and
    possibly do a bit more tweaking on the side. This is completely
    described in:

    http://web.mac.com/flor385/JBND/doc.html#persistence

    The API documentation for the interfaces is there. All of it is
    explained as best I could. It is really not a lot of work (and I
    sincerely hope somebody will do it). As an example of how it was done
    for WebObjects, you can check out org.jbnd.eof.* classes. If this is
    done, you have a Cayenne + Swing data binding library.