Re: How to migrate from Hibernate to Cayenne?

From: Chris Murphy (chri..trandz.org)
Date: Thu Feb 21 2008 - 20:19:19 EST

    I concur with paragraph two - it seems that web frameworks have a way to go (excepting GWT et al) before just having getters and setters for controls, so you can drag and drop the visual part of an application together at design time, and then separately be concerned about programming the events. See www.strandz.org for an ideal way of creating a user-interfaced application, that kind of abstracts out MVC thinking...

    - Chris Murphy

    Michael Gentry wrote:

    I pretty much concur with Malcom's thoughts.  You aren't alone.  :-)

    2008/2/21 Malcolm Edgar <malcolm.edgar@gmail.com>:

    <rant>

     Well personally I think the whole POJO thing has been completely over
     done. Sure EJB entity beans were not much fun, but saying everything
     should now extend java.util.Object is stupid.  With persistence API
     entities need a bunch of support, you can use Cayenne model where you
     subclass intelligent objects, or you can use "black magic" runtime
     byte code enhancement.  I prefer the former because I can drill
     through the code, and use a debugger. However all the fashion now days
     it to go down the byte code enhancement path.

     This is particularly stupid with Web frameworks, which have recently
     adopted this fashion.  Now you see POJO's being used as a kind of a
     page, with a bunch of annotations, maybe some XML configuration files,
     and then some special byte code enhancement.  No decent windowing UI
     framework has ever taken this approach Dephi, Swing, Flex.

     The thing that I find really ironic, is that the Hibernate guys who
     were using reflection previously bet the crap out of JDO camp, because
     JDO were using invasive post compilation byte code enhancement.  Now
     Hibernate now are using runtime byte code enhancement, but have still
     manage to kill JDO, and create a new JPA based on their design.

     </rant>

     regards Malcolm Edgar