RE: Cayenne and Spring (a Hibernate inspired question)

From: Kevin Menard (kmenar..ervprise.com)
Date: Wed Feb 27 2008 - 08:51:59 EST

    Hi Marek,

    My Hibernate experience is limited to a single project that did not use
    Spring, so it's hard for me to draw a fair comparison. My take from
    passively watching on discussion lists (particularly the Tapestry one)
    is that Spring makes Hibernate usable in a way that Cayenne is out of
    the box. It seems you know this already, though.

    In a Web app I have here, we an account creation operation split up over
    three screens and it involves several different entities. For this, I
    simply used a peer context per page and coalesce everything at the end.
    This is a little bit older code and I would likely use a child context
    for it now. The reason I did it this way is that while conceptually a
    single operation, completing any of the phases is a complete
    transaction. If you want to enforce start to finish behavior, you could
    use a single context shared via session. Just watch yourself because
    it's a lot harder to enforce a workflow through a browser than it is
    through Swing.

    As for sorting across multiple relationships, I guess I would have to
    understand a little more as to what you want to do. Simplest thing is
    to write your own Comparator, but you may want to look at mapping a
    query, and barring that, use SQLTemplate to achieve what you need in the
    DB.

    I hope that helps.

    --
    Kevin Menard