Re: cayenne-tutorial

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Sun Oct 26 2008 - 09:15:33 EDT

    Hi Matt,

    On Oct 25, 2008, at 6:33 PM, Matt Crouch wrote:
    > I have several questions about the cayenne-tutorial project and
    > CayenneModeler
    >
    > 1. I'm having some problems with the UI in CayenneModeler. When adding
    > an attribute, I tab over to "Type" and expect that I can select using
    > arrow keys or typing. If I type a letter, the dropdown list arrow
    > appears, but I can't change it's value. Is this normal?
    >
    > 2. In the DbRelationship Info dialog box I can't tab among inputs. I
    > can tab to "Reverse Relationship" and back, but no further -- i.e.
    > only the TextFields. If I do tab further, I can't get back inside
    > them.
    >
    > Those aren't that important, just annoying as I can't stand having to
    > use the mouse for everything.

    Fair enough. Even in substantially reworked and improved
    CayenneModeler 3.0M5 (which is coming out soon), tabbing behavior is
    far from ideal. Something we'll need to improve upon.

    > 3. There seem to be inconsistencies in the field naming in the
    > tutorial. The data model at the top
    > (http://cayenne.apache.org/doc20/tutorial-object-relational-mapping.data/database-schema.jpg
    > )
    > indicates that ARTIST's primary key is called "ARTIST_ID", but the
    > text says
    >
    > "Let's rename it to ID, make it an INTEGER and make it a PK:"
    >
    > The graphic immediately below this also indicates that the field is
    > actually ARTIST_ID
    >
    > I didn't mind this and assumed a simple typo in the text, but
    > GALLERY's primary key is just called "ID", for which see the "Repeat
    > this procedure for PAINTING and GALLERY entities." graphic.

    > 4. The result of the above is that you can't actually do the "Mapping
    > Database Relationships" section. If my ARTIST pkey is called
    > ARTIST_ID, that field is only available as a Source, not a target, for
    > the relationship
    >
    > After experimenting a bit, I discovered that if I ignore the graphics
    > and call the field ID, I can get the result from this section -- but
    > *only if I create the ARTIST_ID field in the
    > PAINTING entity first.
    >
    > I was inclined to think that the text simply forgot to say "make
    > additional attributes to match the data model above" or something, but
    > in this case the primary keys would be called ARTIST_ID, PAINTING_ID,
    > etc. rather than just ID
    >
    > I find this pretty frustrating. The tut says I should repeat these
    > steps for other relationships, but I can't tell if these were done
    > right, because of the inconsistencies.

    The 3.0 version of the tutorial has the DB schema diagram correct.
    "Repeat" means map all columns from the schema:

    http://cayenne.apache.org/doc/tutorial-object-relational-mapping.html

    Thanks for sharing the problems that you had - let me replace the
    broken Modeler screenshots and clarify some points in the text.

    Andrus