Re: First time inheritance attempt

From: Michael Gentry (mgentr..asslight.net)
Date: Thu Sep 24 2009 - 14:27:20 EDT

    I faked vertical inheritance on a previous project. It is a little
    more manual/tedious, but works. Mostly. I had to manually manage the
    relationships (such as when I created a new subclass instance, create
    the superclass instance/relationship at the same time). You could use
    a listener/callback to automate that, though, so not too bad. The
    harder thing to remember was when doing a query you had to remember to
    follow the relationships in they keypath yourself. Java might see the
    superclass getters/setters in the subclass, but the DB doesn't. So
    you have to always remember to do "superclass.whatever" when making an
    expression that involves something off the superclass.