Nested ObjectContext or something else?

From: Joe Baldwin (jfbaldwi..arthlink.net)
Date: Mon Nov 23 2009 - 16:38:10 EST

    I have a problem with a custom logging class created for use with my JSP's.

    I am using a factory method from my custom Java class to create log entries via a Cayenne entity. The factory methods create a log entry and immediately commit changes to the ThreadObjectContext. This works fine, except that in some error conditions, I might want to rollback changes (as well as log the exceptional condition).

    So if I log the exceptional condition using the ThreadObjectContext, it appears that I will subvert the subsequent rollback for that same exceptional condition (i.e. I won't be able to rollback changes).

    So I thought that a child context might be handy. However, I can't figure out how to properly manage the scope in a JSP/Library situation. For example: it is easy to get the ThreadObjectContext for a library, and it is easy to create a child context, but then you would be creating a child context for every INSERT (which the Cayenne docs discourage).

    Then, I was considering managing my own singleton to store this child context, but this could get complicated with the ThreadObjectContext. So before I did this I thought I would ask if Cayenne has a more standard approach.

    Thanks,
    Joe