Visibility & Monitoring

From: Joe Baldwin (jfbaldwi..arthlink.net)
Date: Wed Apr 07 2010 - 11:16:19 EDT

    I am attempting to do more performance monitoring (with an eye towards optimizing my design & use of DataObject lists and lifetime).

    The first thing I would like to do is monitor how many DataObjects are created and which JSP session they belong.

    My idea was to simply create a constructor for the DataObject of interest and place monitoring hooks inside. I would assume that I could also create a finalize method to do similar things.

    Is this the best way to create custom monitoring using Cayenne DataObjects or is there a better way?

    (BTW, even after reading the docs, I am still somewhat mystified by how my configuration specifications control the life cycle and performance. So I am hoping these custom hooks will make my design decisions more visible, especially with multiple users.)

    Thanks,
    Joe