Re: Blobs in the DataContext

From: Aristedes Maniatis (ar..aniatis.org)
Date: Sat May 22 2010 - 03:47:41 UTC

    On 22/05/10 7:27 AM, MGargan..scholar.com wrote:
    > I'm using cayenne to store large files in BLOBs as a process runs.
    > The first step of the process is storing large files (~ 600MB)

    I'm sure others will chime in with similar thoughts: ORMs are not really designed for this type of workload. For that matter, nor are most databases. I'd even avoid ever turning these things into Java objects at any point along the way. You might like to explore other ways of storing these files on disk, keeping the metadata in the database controlled by Cayenne (filename, size, created date, user, etc.).

    If you must continue along the path you've chosen, you'll want to spend quite some time with a Java profiler (like Yourkit or jprofiler) looking at all the places these objects end up, and exactly how they get garbage collected. That's not just about Cayenne but everywhere from the JDBC stack through to your import/export process.

    Cheers
    Ari

    --
    Aristedes Maniatis