Re: XMLEncoder / XMLDecoder

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Mon Jul 05 2010 - 07:04:45 UTC

    I can see our unit tests have a collection encoding example:

    List<TestObject> dataObjects = new ArrayList<TestObject>();

    dataObjects.add(new TestObject("George", 5, true));
    dataObjects.add(new TestObject("Mary", 28, false));
    dataObjects.add(new TestObject("Joe", 31, true));

    String xml = new XMLEncoder().encode("EncodedTestList", dataObjects);

    On a side note, I am not a big fan of our XML coding implementation.
    It is DOM based and is not very scaleable. I started writing an
    XStream-based replacement in sandbox:

    * http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/cayenne/sandbox/cayenne-serialization/?pathrev=814869
    * http://markmail.org/message/ljngasncx6jur6ud

    But then my own itch to solve it disappeared, so that was put on hold.
    IIRC it is usable for most object subgraphs, but not optimized for all
    scenarios.

    Andrus