Re: Entity Attribute Value model with Cayenne?

From: Robert Zeigler (robert.zeigle..oxanemy.com)
Date: Mon Aug 23 2010 - 15:06:57 UTC

    Seems like you ought to be able to model this in cayenne without too much difficulty.

    Main Entity -> Map relationship of value entities. Each value entity has a to-one relationship to the attribute descriptor table.
    One thing you might consider doing in your attribute descriptor table is to make the "type" be a java enum; then you can add types to the system as needed with whatever behavior you need for the type (eg: explicit knowledge of how to convert the database value/type to the application/logical value/type). Alternatively, I've used cayenne's ability to supply custom types/custom type converters successfully in the past to do/help with this sort of thing.

    You could overwrite readProperty in a base Persistent object to check first if the property in question is one of the map properties; if so, read it instead, otherwise, pass handling back to cayenne. Same goes for write.

    Something along those lines... it sounds like your use-case is probably simple enough that you could do this all with application-level code without having to hack cayenne.

    Robert