Re: Groovy + Cayenne (Dynamic Loading of Mapping Files)

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Wed Oct 20 2010 - 19:04:22 UTC

    Cayenne stack is completely dynamic. Nothing is precompiled, enhanced or proxied, unlike Hibernate. There is a metadata cache that will need to get updated, but that can be done without a restart. So you can create mapping dynamically even in Java:

    http://cayenne.apache.org/doc30/generic-persistent-class.html

    Can't provide the Groovy details, but I would imagine that for each updated class, you'll need to create ObjEntity / DbEntity pair (simple metadata objects) and insert them in a DataMap (a collection of entities). That should be it (as long as the DB already has a table matching that class).

    Another relevant thing is to look at the structure of the Java classes generated by Cayenne (via Modeler, Ant or Maven ... e.g. check Cayenne Quick Start tutorial). Special structure of the get/set methods and a common superclass is what allows us to avoid compilation/enhancement/proxying mentioned above. And of course you can use generic setters/getters from any class per link above.

    Andrus