mysql rant

From: Craig Miskell (cmiskel..lbatross.co.nz)
Date: Wed Jan 01 2003 - 17:53:47 EST

    <rant-mode>Arrgghhhhhh..... unless mysql is *explicitly* compiled with
    -DDONT_USE_DEFAULT_FIELDS (and I'm not keen on trying to compile said
    beast on my windows box... yuck), any integer type fields declared as NON-NULL
    will have a DEFAULT value of 0.... so if no value is supplied in the
    insert statement (e.g. a foreign key field, say gallery_id in the exhibit
    table in the unittests maybe.... ;-)), then a default value is inserted.
    No, this is not considered an error by mysql, despite the data integrity
    issues this most clearly raises. Unless you feel like recompiling it
    yourself.

    WTF? ('scuse my acryonymic French, but this *really* annoys me).
    </rant-mode>

    This was at least one of the problems that was thrown up with my recent
    changes (I created an exhibit without a gallery). Maybe it's time we had
    client-side validation against the DataMap at commit time... configurable
    on or off in case the end-developer wishes to just use the DB level error
    checking, no matter how obtuse the java.sql.Exception messages may be.
    My next project perhaps?

    Craig