Re: mysql rant

From: Dirk Olmes (dirk.olme..mx.de)
Date: Fri Jan 03 2003 - 07:47:08 EST

    >>The design is quite simple: I've written a NSNotificationCenter clone
    >> with which you can register objects.
    >
    > This is a good thing to keep around in any event. My +1 for adding
    > ObserverManager to Cayenne.

    Cool. Holger and I are sitting together this afternoon to talk about the
    whole notification thing in greater detail - e.g. what about cross-vm
    notifications. I think this fits well into the shared cache you mentioned yesterday.

    >>This solution turns out ot be as unintrusive to the framework as
    >> possible: The only modifications one has to make to DataContext is
    >> the posting of events upon certain control points. If you want the
    >> transaction event machinery, simply put
    >> TransactionEventManager.registerForDataContextEvents();
    >> somewhere in the beginning of your app.
    >
    > Current code has one flaw though - a shared instance of
    > TransactionEventManager contains state in "_objectsToBeNotified" so
    > it can't be reused by multiple threads simultaneously. But I guess we
    > can fix it easily.

    Ouch, yes. I'm not really pleased that TransactionEventManager has to save
    the objects to be notified at all. But that's due to the fact that
    DataContext, after saving changes has no inserted, modifed and deleted objects any more.

    later more,

    -dirk