Re: Contributions to Cayenne

From: Craig Miskell (cmiskel..lbatross.co.nz)
Date: Fri Jan 03 2003 - 18:34:31 EST

    On Fri, 3 Jan 2003, Andrus wrote:

    > 2. Correct insert/update/delete ordering. Andriy wrote a separate graph
    > library that handles dependency tracking (he is a math guru too...). He is
    > ready to OpenSource it as a top-level ObjectStyle.org project that he will
    > continue developing in the future. This is the same issue addressed
    > recently by Craig so I would appreciate the comments (functionality notes
    > are in README).
    Dang.... I gotta learn me some math. I vaguely recall studying graph
    theory, and I could kind of follow the description in the Readme. The
    technique looks rather interesting, certainly more mathematically
    sound than mine (or rather, it has a sound mathematical proof). My
    implementation *may* be so, but I couldn't prove it :-). If nothing else,
    it has the weight of several hundred years of Graph theory behind it :-)

    Reflexive relationships (table A->table A) are handled by my algorithm,
    but thats likely easily tacked onto the Andriy's work... the result of his
    algorithm will be an ordered set of entities. Just sort the actual
    objects within each entity based on any reflexive relationships it might
    have with itself.

    So, all said and done, I'm quite happy for this work to replace mine as
    others see fit.

    Craig