Re: My local Cayenne changes

From: Dirk Olmes (dirk.olme..mx.de)
Date: Mon Jan 06 2003 - 15:51:25 EST

    >> Don't most of the drivers have some way of retrieving this data? In
    >> mysql you have the last_insert_id function, in Oracle you have the
    >> curr_value of the sequence on the particular connection (I *think*
    >> this is threadsafe. We did an experiment where several of us were
    >> inserting via SQLPlus and inserts outside our own connections were not
    >> affecting our own curr_value).
    >
    > I am too spoiled by using WebObjects/EOF, and now Cayenne :-). I rarely
    > had to use driver-specific tricks. But if at least some drivers have
    > their own mechanism for reading back generated values, I am all for
    > adding this feature to Cayenne.

    I just can't help but adding my 0.01 EUR here again ... What's the use
    of that feature (apart from feature-completeness)?

    This will only complicate things on the adaptor layer of cayenne. If it
    were to save round-trips to the database I'd be happy but this isn't the
    case here. So what's the use?

    Maybe I'm too puristic here? :-)

    -dirk