Implementing Inheritance In Cayenne

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Tue Jan 07 2003 - 18:06:28 EST

    We had lots of design discussions lately. I hope we have the time to
    implement even half of it :-).

    Anyway, here is another one...

    Working on the plan of TopLink -> Cayenne conversion I noticed that I will
    need inheritance support in the mapping. Out of all types of inheritance
    that are used in O/R design (vertical, horizontal, single table), I am
    targeting "single table" for now.

    I created a "pending" subfolder in "xdocs" as a place for design documents
    that might eventually become a part of official documentation. There is a
    file there called inheritance.xml with a description of how the mapping will
    be done from the CayenneModeler perspective. Basically it will involve an
    extra "Inheritance" tab for ObjEntity.

    GUI is closer to TopLink rather than EOModeler, in that you can't select an
    arbitrary qualifier for each of the subclass entities, but rather have a
    designated "class indicator" column. This is to make the whole thing more
    deterministic and avoid conflicting qualifiers (so that rows in the database
    never resolve to more than one entity). Internally we may still use
    Expression for this.

    Comments?

    Andrus