Re: Initial event handling

From: Dirk Olmes (dirk.olme..mx.de)
Date: Sun Jan 19 2003 - 04:15:06 EST

    > 1. Do you have plans to make ObserverManager send distributed
    > notifications?

    Why not? I could imagine that we could be nearly done by creating a
    DistributedInvocation class and have it send notifications around.

    > 2. Since DataContextTransactionEventHandler and
    > DataObjectTransactionEvents specifically deal with DataContext events,
    > maybe they should be a part of "access" package, making "event" a
    > generic event notification framework?

    Sure. The whole DataObjectTransactionEvents thing is still not
    complete, though. I could imagine more notifications e.g. on when a
    DataObject is inserted/deleted into a DataContext. Maybe we'll add the
    appropriate events on demand?!?

    >> - the dependency between DataContext and the DCEventHandler is
    >> dubious but
    >> looks unavoidable.
    >
    > 3. How about DataContext.setTransactionEventsEnabled() triggering
    > this? What I am suggesting is moving static initialization block from
    > DataContext to the handler itself, but making sure that it is invoked
    > every time setTransactionEventsEnabled is called in the code. Does it
    > make sense?

    I like this approach best from what we've tried so far. If we manage a
    boolean flag inside DataContext that remembers whether events should be
    sent or not the runtime penalty for not using events comes down to the
    evaluation of a few if statements.

    -dirk