Re: Stored Procedures Support

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Thu Mar 27 2003 - 20:23:50 EST

    On Thursday, March 27, 2003, at 06:33 AM, Holger Hoffstätte wrote:
    > PostgreSQL might be tricky since it supports writing stored procedures
    > in
    > several different languages (pl/pgsql, tcl, perl, python, Java via a
    > third-party SF project). I'm curently busy and wanted to ask Dirk but
    > he
    > already answered.

    Well, Oracle also has SQL/C/Java options for the actual procedure
    implementation. As long as the call API is the same, we can use testing
    option that is the easiest to set up (I vote for SQL based approach
    whenever possible). I don't think that Postgres stored procedures is a
    must have for Beta, this can wait till later.

    > HSQLDB might be a quick catch since you can write stored procedures in
    > Java simply as a regular class with static methods:
    > http://hsqldb.sourceforge.net/web/hsqlFeatures.html#STORED

    Same as PostgreSQL - I guess this can wait till one of us has more time.

    > One plea..would it be possible to use regular names like
    > 'ProcedureParameter', 'addCallParameter' etc.? I find these abbreviated
    > names very hard to remember, especially since we don't call Attribute
    > 'Attr' either..I think we can afford the additional characters ;)

    +1.

    I will do the renaming. Actually I was going to do that earlier, but I
    wanted to stay consistent with "addParam" methods in parameterized
    queries. I guess I will rename those as well.

    Andrus