Re: Interesting DB Adapter problem

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Wed May 21 2003 - 09:07:20 EDT

    On Wednesday, May 21, 2003, at 07:59 AM, Holger Hoffstätte wrote:
    > First snag: explicit NULL is not allowed. Is this 'standard' SQL? I
    > always thought you only need to specify NOT NULL explicitly, and that
    > anything else is allowed to be NULL by default. If so, maybe we could
    > remove this default-NULL from the JdbcAdapter? Would spare me a whole
    > method.

    +1

    You are talking about "CREATE TABLE..." statement, right? I guess other
    databases will work just fine if we make this change.

    > Another interesting problem is the Artist name column (again :-), it's
    > CHAR(255) but DB2 wants CHARACTER. Easy enough, but CHARACTERs can
    > only be
    > of size 254 max - any suggestion about how to handle this? I'd rather
    > not
    > map this to a different type for consistency.

    Lets change max length to 254 for everybody. Actually 255 is a max
    limit for Sybase, this is one of the reasons it was chosen. I don't see
    any problems with making the column shorter.

    Andrus