Re: Interesting DB Adapter problem

From: Holger Hoffstätte (holge..izards.de)
Date: Wed May 21 2003 - 10:31:29 EDT

    Andrus Adamchik wrote:
    > > always thought you only need to specify NOT NULL explicitly, and that
    > > anything else is allowed to be NULL by default. If so, maybe we could
    > > remove this default-NULL from the JdbcAdapter? Would spare me a whole
    > > method.
    >
    > +1
    >
    > You are talking about "CREATE TABLE..." statement, right? I guess other
    > databases will work just fine if we make this change.

    They do, I just tested against MySQL 4.1, Oracle 8.1, PostgreSQL 7.3.2 and
    HSQLDB, all still work.

    > Lets change max length to 254 for everybody. Actually 255 is a max
    > limit for Sybase, this is one of the reasons it was chosen. I don't see
    > any problems with making the column shorter.

    I changed all ARTIST_NAMEs to 254 (also stored procedures etc.) and
    everything still works; now DB2 happily creates a bunch of tables already.
    :) It then stumbles over BLOB stuff but that was to be expected.

    Holger