Re: DBPatch

From: Aristedes Maniatis (ar..sh.com.au)
Date: Wed Apr 16 2008 - 03:17:27 EDT

    > On Apr 16, 2008, at 3:08 AM, Aristedes Maniatis wrote:
    >
    >> My only other comment here is that ant may not be the best tool for
    >> deployed systems.
    >
    > Let's elaborate on that a bit. I'd like to have a better
    > understanding of the scenarios we may be dealing with. I have two in
    > mind:
    >
    > 1. A group of developers works on the same project, each with his
    > own local copy of the DB. Each developer can introduce schema/data
    > changes as a part of coding. DBPatch would serve a purpose of
    > bringing all local DB's in sync with the state of the code on trunk.
    >
    > 2. After a cycle of development, a deployment is done to an existing
    > production database. DBPatch is run sometime after .war assembly
    > (assuming that's a web app), and before deploying the wars to the
    > server. Here the assumption is that a (remote) DB server is
    > accessible from the build machine.

    3. The application is given to a customer and it automatically updates
    the production database when it first runs.

    > What other scenarios I'm missing that won't allow using Ant? Shrink-
    > wrapped software? As for DBPatch specifically, the plan to code it
    > in such a way that Ant interface is simply a frontend to a Java
    > class that can be run standalone.

    I see, so it isn't so much an ant task as a useful library which is
    not specifically ant or Cayenne centric but works nicely alongside
    either. The way we use this workflow is on server startup, after the
    database is started, but before Cayenne's model is initialised. It is
    built into the application itself. For us, that means both 1 and 3
    above. I'd be interested in looking to see how DBPatch relates to what
    we've already done. What is the URI of the sandbox?

    Ari Maniatis

    ish
    http://www.ish.com.au
    phone +61 2 9550 5001 fax +61 2 9550 4001