Re: DBPatch

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Wed Apr 16 2008 - 02:07:37 EDT

    On Apr 16, 2008, at 3:08 AM, Aristedes Maniatis wrote:

    > My only other comment here is that ant may not be the best tool for
    > deployed systems.

    Let's elaborate on that a bit. I'd like to have a better understanding
    of the scenarios we may be dealing with. I have two in mind:

    1. A group of developers works on the same project, each with his own
    local copy of the DB. Each developer can introduce schema/data changes
    as a part of coding. DBPatch would serve a purpose of bringing all
    local DB's in sync with the state of the code on trunk.

    2. After a cycle of development, a deployment is done to an existing
    production database. DBPatch is run sometime after .war assembly
    (assuming that's a web app), and before deploying the wars to the
    server. Here the assumption is that a (remote) DB server is accessible
    from the build machine.

    What other scenarios I'm missing that won't allow using Ant? Shrink-
    wrapped software? As for DBPatch specifically, the plan to code it in
    such a way that Ant interface is simply a frontend to a Java class
    that can be run standalone.

    Andrus