Re: maven improvements

From: Aristedes Maniatis (ar..sh.com.au)
Date: Sun Aug 10 2008 - 04:43:44 EDT

    On 10/08/2008, at 12:31 AM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:

    > This suggestion is the most damaging, as it would force us to break
    > out of our namespace. And everything else is chained to that. So
    > while I am not completely against a reorg, I'd say we should do it
    > as the last resort measure. Would it be simpler to use the other
    > plugin?

    For sure, we should only do it if it helps us in some way, since any
    change will break artifacts other people may be relying on. On the
    other hand, maven is complex to navigate and I'd hate to think that an
    unusual naming scheme discourages people from contributing to Cayenne
    because they can't get the build environment working easily.

    I'm not sure what 'other plugin' you refer to here.

    Even after my Eclipse plugin fixes, I've still got the following issues:

    1. "mvn cayenne:modeler" does not work (CAY-1058)
    2. "mvn clean install" is required, not just once to bootstrap but
    every time I want to get recent changes into an assembly. So,
    packaging up the assembly does not detect changes to the source. In
    order to capture new jars they not only have to be rebuilt but also
    installed into .m2.
    3. "mvn clean install" is not even enough. "mvn -P mac clean install"
    is required for me to get the OSX specific bits compiled right.
    4. Still, even with all the above, odd things happen which are no
    doubt due to my cursory knowledge of maven's build process. But it
    means that I spent an inordinate amount of time trying to get the
    build system working after by upgrade to the latest Eclipse: probably
    about 6 hours in the last few days. Now, if only I'd spent those 6
    hours working with Marcin on inheritance or improving the Cayenne
    documentation...

    So, in short. If the reorganisation makes it simpler (for example, so
    bootstrapping is not required) or more reliable (so that old code
    doesn't get included), then we should do it. If I'm the only one
    having troubles, then I'll just have to put in more work to understand
    maven better and work around its quirks.

    I know in the past, the committers here have been lukewarm about
    maven, but no one wanted to put in the work to return to ant (fair
    enough!). Is it worth considering ant+ivy as a new approach which
    might deliver the best of both worlds? If so, I'm happy to work on
    this over a period of time. But I wouldn't want to start if that
    wasn't a communal long term goal.

    Ari

    ish
    http://www.ish.com.au
    phone +61 2 9550 5001 fax +61 2 9550 4001