Re: M5?

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Wed Oct 22 2008 - 22:32:05 EDT

    We always wanted shorter cycles between the major releases, and we
    could never implement that in practice (even when I was working on
    Cayenne full time). But we should definitely try.

    The problem is too many things that get started in parallel, each
    taking lots of effort to make it production quality throughout the
    stack.

    In regards to 3.0, I think my initial list is still mostly valid:

    http://markmail.org/message/ynuaswnpgenindsn

    so except for the SoC tasks (thanks to amazing job done by Andrey),
    there's still a bunch of half-baked things. Let me comment on the
    individual items:

    * EJBQL missing features (constructors, flattened relationships,
    better error reporting). I guess constructors and error reporting can
    be moved to 3.1; flattened relationships is a must IMO.

    * Vertical Inheritance. This turned into a horizontal inheritance
    effort, but done in a generic way, so we are advancing all types of
    inheritance at once. Still need to do the hardest parts of the runtime.

    * Multiple cayenne.xml in the project. No progress on that yet. As
    much as I'd think of this as a killer feature, this is a good
    candidate for 3.1. Sigh... I'd really love an ability to define
    listeners in the mapping created outside of the main Cayenne mapping
    project. Otherwise the listener concept doesn't scale well at all. I
    am very frustrated with the current rigid implementation.

    * Generating Query and Procedure Access Code. This is done for
    SelectQueries; need to add support for other queries, and better
    Modeler support.

    * Modeler: support for embeddables. This can probably remain a
    "stealth" feature in Cayenne. We can add Modeler support in 3.1

    * Modeler: support for EJBQL queries. We need that.

    * Tutorials. Maybe we don't have to ship tutorial code with the
    download (we stopped doing that with 3.0M1), and keep it documentation
    only... But it would be nice to add extra things to the existing
    tutorials, such as listeners.

    * (new) Modeler support for flattened attributes. Runtime supports
    them for many months, still most users can't take advantage of it.

    > I don't have the rights to create milestones in Jira, but some
    > triage work to organise remaining tasks might be useful.

    I added you to cayenne-admin group. You should have this permissions
    now.

    Andrus