Re: M5?

From: Aristedes Maniatis (ar..sh.com.au)
Date: Fri Oct 24 2008 - 04:13:45 EDT

    On 23/10/2008, at 6:45 PM, Andrey Razumovsky wrote:

    > Also I foresee I will soon work with ROP much more, and I'd like
    > some other
    > features on ROP to be done, like maybe lifecycle callback-like
    > functionality. So I'd rather we limit "no more API changes" later than
    > sooner.

    Of course, 'no more API changes' doesn't mean forever :-) Just that
    if we have a goal to aim for, then if you miss that goal, it just
    means that the next set of API changes go into 3.1 (or 4.0).

    So we can:

    1. Decide on a feature set which will go into 3.0 then move all other
    features in Jira to 'future'. If new features come in they go to
    'future' and don't get added to the infinitely increasing list that is
    3.0. OR

    2. Decide on a date by which all new features are to be committed.
    Then after that comes just bug fixing. This date based approach is
    being used by a number of larger projects (such as FreeBSD).

    Also, we should decide as a matter of principle, can the API change
    between 3.0 and 3.1? Or wait until 4.0? Personally I think that API
    changes should be allowed between 3.0 and 3.1 otherwise we split
    development into too many branches.

    Ari Maniatis

    ish
    http://www.ish.com.au
    phone +61 2 9550 5001 fax +61 2 9550 4001