Re: informations

From: Andrus (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Mon Aug 12 2002 - 09:21:59 EDT

    Hi Camille,

    At 03:00 PM 8/12/2002 +0200, 'CAMILLE CAMPAGNE' wrote:
    >hello,
    >I'm french, so, excuse me for my english...
    >
    >We're looking for an O/R mapping tool, and Cayenne can be very interesting,
    >but I have some questions to really understand Cayenne :
    >
    > - Does Cayenne manage a cache of Objects ? (we've had a lot of
    > problem
    >with another tools which manages Cache, so I'd prefer that not, or that
    >this cache can be really be configured.

    In a typical multiuser environment (like a web app), Cayenne keeps a
    session cache only (tied to DataContext). Getting rid of cache is as easy
    as throwing out a DataContext and instantiating a new one.

    > - Does Cayenne manage transaction ? If not, it is not a problem
    > because we
    >often use EJB...But if yes, I'd prefer that we can configure...

    "Commits" of DataContext are wrapped in a transaction. Customization will
    most likely require modifying some of the Cayenne source code (it is
    opensource after all :-)).

    > - For example, if we have an application with a customer who can have
    >bought multiples products...If I retrieve a customer, Does Cayenne retrieve
    >all his products in memory, or is it a lazy read ?

    It is a lazy read that occurs only when you call a relationship method on
    the customer. Though it is configurable.

    > - A last question, does Cayenne work really just with JDK 1.4 ?
    > (1.3 not
    >supported ?)

    1.3 support is not "officially" released yet, but nightly builds from
    August 12 and newer can be deployed on 1.3. GUI tools are still using 1.4
    classes.

    Andrus