Re: [BUG] ORACLE sequence numbers not incrementing....

From: Mike Kienenberger (mkienen..laska.net)
Date: Thu Sep 11 2003 - 17:40:38 EDT

    Andrus Adamchik <andru..bjectstyle.org> wrote:
    > On Thursday, September 11, 2003, at 04:05 PM, Mike Kienenberger wrote:
    > > Can we update the documentation to make it less confusing? Maybe
    > > point out
    > > that "cache size" means something different if you're talking about an
    > > "Oracle sequence" than if you're talking about a "Cayenne
    > > representation of a Oracle sequence"?
    >
    > What documentation are you referring to? Oracle PK generator JavaDoc
    > for instance explains the difference between Oracle terms and Cayenne:
    >
    > http://www.objectstyle.org/cayenne/api/cayenne/org/objectstyle/cayenne/
    > dba/oracle/OraclePkGenerator.html

    Are you really expecting a cayenne user to read the javadocs for an
    "internal" adaptor plug-in class only called by the framework in order to
    understand how to set a parameter in the modeler or the xml? Or to even
    know that the class exists to read the docs?

    The Modeler text reads:

    [checkbox] Customize primary key generation
    (currently ignored by all adapters except Oracle)
    Database Object name: [textbox]
    Cached PK Size: [textbox]

    I'm not dogmatic about what terminology to use for a Cayenne cache size, but
    since there's no mention of another possible meaning for "cache size" in
    reference to primary key generation in the user guide, modeler guide, or
    modeler UI, it is REASONABLE for an Oracle database user to assume that
    "cache size" for oracle sequence setup in Cayenne means the same thing as it
    does in Oracle contexts.

    > If you have something else in mind, you are free to write and submit
    > these docs.

    The manual has a section on primary key generation with sequences at this
    url.

    http://www.objectstyle.org/cayenne/userguide/design/autopk.html

    And the modeler has a section (not mentioning sequences) at this url.

    http://www.objectstyle.org/cayenne/modelerguide/common-tasks/pksupport.html

    Both of these seem like good places for reducing confusion. I will see what
    I can do, but writing new documentation isn't one of my strong points
    (although editing such documentation is).

    > I would've said "send a patch", but with current state of
    > affairs with anonymous CVS this is rather hard. Still you can do a
    > local diff against "virgin" nightly build.

    Yep, I'm already following that procedure, mostly :)

    > > And change the default Oracle values to the same defaults values that
    > > Oracle
    > > uses?
    >
    > The whole point of having cache size in Cayenne is that it is > 1. This
    > is all about performance, e.g.:
    >
    > http://objectstyle.org/cayenne/lists/cayenne-user/2003/08/0033.html

    Hmm. I wasn't considering the whole picture by thinking of this in terms of
    new databases.

    The current default is likely to break compatibility when a user has
    existing sequences in databases.
    Tuning a sequence is an advanced topic, and may not be one that the user is
    familiar with. All things being equal, the default increment is probably
    going to be the database default. In those cases that it isn't, the user
    is probably already familar with what the value means and will manually set
    it to whatever value it has in the schema.

    Maybe the default should only be set to 1 if you're importing an EOModel or
    otherwise importing an existing database (future?). Anyone using an EOModel
    is guaranteed to have need it set to 1.

    Thanks for commenting! I hope that my "new eyes" to the project are adding
    some value and not just adding contention...

    -Mike