Re: newbie - Cayenne, Ant, JBoss?

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Thu Oct 02 2003 - 22:43:47 EDT

    On Thursday, October 2, 2003, at 12:05 PM, Craig Ziesman wrote:

    > There are many kinds of web app. We are using JBoss and Jetty with
    > servlets, not JSPs. I don't know how common that combination is, but
    > I'm guessing it's not too rare. The snippets in the userguide did not
    > seem adequate to me, but I guess "good examples" are always a matter
    > of opinion. In a development example, I would have hoped to see
    > something like a complete tutorial -- start to finish, with source
    > code and build scripts -- which I could not find anywhere for Cayenne.
    > A library of (unsupported) simple examples developed by Cayenne users
    > in different environments and available for download would be helpful.

    The pattern for Cayenne use in a non-EJB web application is basically
    the same, no matter whether this is servlets, JSP, Struts, or
    Tapestry... But then I can't argue against writing a better, more
    comprehensive tutorial :-).

    > The short answer on Cayenne access from an EJB container seems to be
    > that it won't work. It appears that Cayenne needs to support
    > Hibernate-style MBean facilities in order to provide this kind of
    > access. I don't have time or resources to make this work myself, so I
    > guess that I will have to switch over to Hibernate and use that
    > instead. That's really too bad, as I would have preferred to stick
    > with Cayenne for other reasons.

    Not to talk you out of switching or anything ;-), but simply for the
    record ... better integration with EJB containers is a planned as a
    part of 1.1 release currently under development. It is not the highest
    priority given other features, but is important.

    BTW, if anybody has hands on experience calling Cayenne from session
    beans, such input is greatly appreciated.

    Andrus