Re: Newby question about Cayenne, threads and EOF comparison

From: Mike Kienenberger (mkienen..laska.net)
Date: Fri Apr 02 2004 - 12:01:20 EST

    Alexander Lamb <Alexander.J.Lam..im.hcuge.ch> wrote:
    > 2. Is there a list of comparison of features with EOF, not meant for
    > the manager who decides but for the developer who wants to migrate?

    http://www.objectstyle.org/cayenne/userguide/misc.html might be a start.
    Depends what EOF features you use.

    > Now, for the view side, two questions:

    You're probably better off asking on the JSF or Tapestry lists.

    > 1. Tapestry? or JSF (Java Server Faces)? in order to get back the
    > component oriented design of WebObjects?

    I'm forced to use Struts which is horrible. JSF is probably far too similar
    to Struts to be much better, especially since the Struts lead developer
    worked on JSF.

    Tapestry looks very promising, but I have no experience with it.

    > Now for deployment, imagin I am comming from WebObjects, what would be
    > the closest and most appropriate for a web app:
    >
    > 1. JBoss, as an EJB ? or without EJB?
    > 2. Simply Tomcat + Tapestry + Cayenne? But then how about load
    > balancing?

    It probably doesn't make any difference.
    I've found Tomcat to be the easiest Application Server to use for
    development.
    Tomcat + sysdeo + eclipse makes rapid development easy.
    Tomcat also seems to be far less restrictive than Oracle Application Server.

    I've never used EJB.