Newby question about Cayenne, threads and EOF comparison

From: Alexander Lamb (Alexander.J.Lam..im.hcuge.ch)
Date: Fri Apr 02 2004 - 10:22:00 EST

    Hello,

    I am considering swiching to Cayenne for a small project after having
    several years of EOF (Objective-C + Java) and WebObjects experience.
    It looks like Cayenne is the closest and even has some nice things EOF
    still lacks (reverse relationships not firering automatically upon
    insert, multi-instance synchronizing, etc...).

    Three basic questions I didn't find in the docs or mailing lists:

    1. Is Cayenne thread safe? If so are there any limitations (e.g.
    database channels, etc...)?
    2. Is there a list of comparison of features with EOF, not meant for
    the manager who decides but for the developer who wants to migrate?
    3. Performance wise, how do you think you compare to EOF? Especially
    snapshotting, versionning (undo management?), etc...?

    Now, for the view side, two questions:

    1. Tapestry? or JSF (Java Server Faces)? in order to get back the
    component oriented design of WebObjects?
    2. Is there any plan (within Cayenne or with other projects) to have
    the equivalent of EOInterface (after spending several weeks banging my
    head on Swing... coming from OpenStep... I miss that controller layer)?

    Now for deployment, imagin I am comming from WebObjects, what would be
    the closest and most appropriate for a web app:

    1. JBoss, as an EJB ? or without EJB?
    2. Simply Tomcat + Tapestry + Cayenne? But then how about load
    balancing?

    Sorry for those very general questions, but I can imagin I am not the
    only one migrating from WebObjects (well, I am not 100% sure of really
    migrating, just the first steps). Coming from WO, it really looks like
    it is only Cayenne or Hibernate + Tapestry or JSF which can compete.
    Some answers in the Cayenne FAQ or in the doc would be very helpfull!

    Thanks a lot,

    Alex

    --
    Alexander Lamb