Re: New data model creation

From: Eric Schneider (eri..entralparksoftware.com)
Date: Wed Jul 14 2004 - 13:44:40 EDT

    Jonathan,

    I'd suggest sticking with the modeler a bit longer. Once you get over
    some of the quirky things (with Swing apps in general) you'll find that
    it's a very productive modeling tool.

    General rule of thumb when starting from scratch....

    1) Create all your DbEntities
            - define all your DbAttributes (what you want your column names to be)
            - define what DbAttributes are mandatory (little checkboxes)
            - define which column(s) make up your primary key (little checkboxes)
    2) Create all your DbRelationships
            - map your DbEntities together (create reverse relationships)
    3) Create all matching ObjEntities for each DbEntity
            - add and map ObjAttributes to corresponding DbAttributes

    Also check out "Sync ObjEntity with DbEntity" feature under the
    "Project". It will help you avoid a lot of the stuff you'd normally
    have to do in step three.

    Cheers,
    Eric