Re: dataviews / meta-jb

From: Jonathan Carlson (Jonathan.Carlso..atun.com)
Date: Thu Jul 29 2004 - 16:44:37 EDT

    Thanks Mike. More generation flexibility like that provided in your patches looks worthwhile.

    Meta-jb appears to specialize in generation of dynamic (as opposed to static) Swing "forms", dynamic HTML forms, and even dynamic XML from arbitrary instances in the database. That's more what I'm looking for right now, but with Velocity and Cayenne's metadata I don't think it will be too hard for me to do it myself. I already coded a pretty cool dynamic data explorer that only involves a handful of Velocity files and Groovy actions.

    Thanks again for the reply. I'll keep your stuff in mind for the future.

    Jonathan

    Jonathan Carlson <Jonathan.Carlso..atun.com> wrote:
    > It would be cool if Cayenne had more support for generation of dynamic
    HTML forms and such, although just having the metadata is a huge step
    forward for me.

    The support is already there for the most part.

    What little is missing can be added by applying the patch in

    http://objectstyle.org/jira/secure/ViewIssue.jspa?key=CAY-79

    It's likely that this patch (or something that provides equivalent
    functionality) will be added after 1.1.

    Feel free to ask if you'd like any conceptional help as I've created generic
    closed-source entity reporting and editing templates that create "struts actions"/"struts config files"/"validator files"/"vm presentation layer
    templates". I just specify an arbitrary entity, and my ant tasks build all
    of the files needed to both do arbitrary searches on that entity as well as edit individual entities. Unfortunately, I can't release the source
    currently.

    -Mike

    the system manager.

    Katun Corporation -- Celebrating 25 Years of Service
    www.katun.com