Cayenne Modeler Thoughts

From: James A. Hillyerd (jame..illyerd.com)
Date: Fri Dec 17 2004 - 13:54:03 EST

    I spent a couple hours designing a database in the modeler last night.
    Having the GUI is nice, makes it easier to refine things without having
    to jump all over the place in XML files a la Hibernate.

    My biggest frustration was that the reverse engineering process seems to
    be all-or-nothing. I designed my DB Entities in the modeler, but there
    was no way to have it translate that into Data Objects automatically. I
    could create the tables in the database and then trigger the reverse
    engineering, but then it would change the names of all my relationships,
    etc.

    Something else I noticed... the modeler window seems designed for
    someone with a very small screen, I think it would be nice if more data
    was displayed per-tab, having both the attributes and relationships
    displayed together would be nice.

    -james

    --
    James A. Hillyerd <jame..illyerd.com>