Re: Cayenne vs EOF: How to questions?

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Thu Feb 10 2005 - 20:50:16 EST

    On Feb 10, 2005, at 5:52 PM, Dov Rosenberg wrote:

    > 2. I understand that Cayenne does not currently support
    > EOPrototypes to make it easier to switch between databases, what is
    > the Cayenne preferred method for supporting multiple databases?

    Unlike EOF Cayenne uses datatypes defined in the JDBC standard for DB
    columns mapping - so to switch from Oracle to Sybase you need to change
    ... umm ... exactly nothing - can't be any easier than that ;-)

    The only time when proprietary DB types come to play is when you want
    to use modeler to generate DB schema (so runtime is not affected)...
    Still this is addressed by mapping JDBC types to DB types in a
    types.xml file that is shipped with each Cayenne DbAdapter. You can
    modify this file if you want to, but no changes in your custom mapping
    (DataMap) will be needed. I think that's cleaner than EOF.

    Andrus