Re: Compound expressions Problem and solution

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Tue May 24 2005 - 11:01:39 EDT

    >> "In Cayenne 1.1, spanning transactions across multiple web requests is
    >> not recommended. At the very least, you should provide some sort of
    >> logging whenever this happens."
    >>
    >> Why is it not recommended?
    >>
    >> Andrus
    >
    > I added this after several recent discussions on cayenne-user and
    > cayenne-devel lately about the problems with doing this - weird
    > serialization issues, the fact that the user may stop in mid-request and
    > move to something else, causing a broken commit, etc.
    >
    > The general consensus seemed to be that isn't a good idea, which is why
    > we're adding child DataContexts. I can take out the note if you disagree
    > with that assessment though (or at the very least, say
    > something less definitive like 'you may not want to')...
    >
    > Cris

    Yeah, I'd rather we indicate specific issues. And since this is not
    WebWork specific (and is actually an important general topic) I think a
    separate page is a good idea.

    Back to the actual issue... I can have an object in the session,
    incrementally modify it while going through a sequence of screens
    (possibly using back button), and then save it at some point - it will
    work just fine.

    On the other hand you may get in trouble if you are adding or deleting
    objects (this should be solved with 1.2 nested DataContexts).

    Andrus