Re: Eclipse Cayenne plugin

From: Øyvind Harboe (oyvind.harbo..ylin.com)
Date: Wed Aug 24 2005 - 07:38:03 EDT

    On Wed, 2005-08-24 at 15:19 +0400, Andrus Adamchik wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > Cayenne Eclipse plugin is a good idea. I toyed with it a while back,
    > but decided it wasn't realistic given my other commitments. So the
    > hope is in the community....
    >
    > > - Be like Spindle.
    >
    > Why? No offense to Spindle (without it Tapestry development would've
    > been a *real* pain), but you'd use XML editor so often not because it
    > is so good, but rather cause there is no WYSIWYG editor.

    My thinking is that that .xml "view" should be made a first class
    citizen, just like the the WYSIWYG editor. I already have the Cayenne
    modeler. Converting it to SWT and integrating it into Eclipse does not
    excite me much.

    Stuff like "add field to table" or "rename field in table" w/automatic
    update of database, classes & Cayenne XML files, that would make a real
    dent in the bookkeeping chores. With JettyLauncher there would be no
    need to restart the debug session even :-)

    The .xml file's provide some capabilities that are not easily achieved
    with a GUI:

    - compare versions. Vital part of revision control.
    - it tells the entire story. It is very hard to go over everyting via a
      GUI from A-Z.
    - the help available while editing .xml files(as in Spindle) provides
      another vector to deliver documentation to the developer for what
      capabilities are availble.

    --
    Øyvind Harboe
    http://www.zylin.com