Re: Eclipse Cayenne plugin

From: Kevin Menard (kmenar..ervprise.com)
Date: Wed Aug 24 2005 - 09:09:12 EDT

    On Aug 24, 2005, at 7:38 AM, Øyvind Harboe wrote:

    > The .xml file's provide some capabilities that are not easily achieved
    > with a GUI:
    >
    > - compare versions. Vital part of revision control.
    > - it tells the entire story. It is very hard to go over everyting
    > via a
    > GUI from A-Z.

    I'm able to do both of these currently with Subclipse. I'd imagine
    it works for other SCM plugins.

    > - the help available while editing .xml files(as in Spindle) provides
    > another vector to deliver documentation to the developer for what
    > capabilities are availble.

    What does this offer over the documentation for the modeler?

    I'm with Andrus on this one. I'd rather a better modeler than a
    better domain-specific XML editor. One of the biggest reasons I
    chose Cayenne is that I really don't have to mess around with XML,
    which is the way it should be IMHO. Just because XML is human-
    writable doesn't mean it should be. Besides, I trust a tool to do
    the right thing way more than I trust myself to ;-)

    --
    Kevin