Re: Eclipse Cayenne plugin

From: Øyvind Harboe (oyvind.harbo..ylin.com)
Date: Wed Aug 24 2005 - 09:29:59 EDT

    On Wed, 2005-08-24 at 09:09 -0400, Kevin Menard wrote:

    > On Aug 24, 2005, at 7:38 AM, Øyvind Harboe wrote:
    >

    > > The .xml file's provide some capabilities that are not easily
    > > achieved
    > > with a GUI:
    > >
    > > - compare versions. Vital part of revision control.
    > > - it tells the entire story. It is very hard to go over everyting
    > > via a
    > > GUI from A-Z.
    >
    > I'm able to do both of these currently with Subclipse. I'd imagine it
    > works for other SCM plugins.

    I simply meant to say that XML files lend themselves well to a text
    compare.

    IMHO, the benefits of a graphical representation of the differences
    between two versions of Cayenne .xml files would be marginal.

    > > - the help available while editing .xml files(as in Spindle)
    > > provides
    > > another vector to deliver documentation to the developer for what
    > > capabilities are availble.
    >
    > What does this offer over the documentation for the modeler?

    The best I can do is to suggest that you try Spindle to see how this
    works in practice.

    Note that I'm not saying XML *instead* of a GUI, but in addition to a
    GUI. XML/GUI are two different views of the same data and both should be
    first class citizens.

    As far as I can understand, you'll never use the XML editing features. I
    on the other hand prefer using both, but for different purposes.

    No conflict. Except for scarce development resources.

    Oh, anyone actually doing work on this is obviously king so it doesn't
    matter what I think about it. :-)

    --
    Øyvind Harboe
    http://www.zylin.com