Yet another optimistic locking question

From: Gili (cowwo..bs.darktech.org)
Date: Thu Sep 01 2005 - 00:05:48 EDT

            A question about how optimistic locking is currently implemented. Do we
    implement it like this?

    1) Lock row
    2) Read row
    3) Compare read row to DataObject version of row
    4) If values mismatch, unlock the row and throw an exception
    5) If values match, continue with update and unlock row

            or do we not lock the database at all? If we don't lock it at all, how
    can we ensure that no changes occur after step 3 but before step 5?

    Thank you,
    Gili

    --
    http://www.desktopbeautifier.com/