Re: CMS Advice

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Fri Oct 28 2005 - 21:52:17 EDT

    Hi Jason,

    > not that i'm a huge fan of php, but on this point alone you
    > shouldnt discount it.

    I am not discounting it, quite the contrary - I am actively
    evaluating PHP systems. Unlike Java, PHP is often mastered quite well
    by artistic folks, and as a result there is a big choice of open
    source products that look nice.

    > more to the point, the cms system will be the limiting factor in db
    > choice.

    This is what I meant to say. I know that PHP-the-technology supports
    other dbs, but developers opt to stick with LAMP. I've been burnt a
    few times quite recently by MySQL light attitude to data integrity
    (common sequence of events going like that: (1) submit a web form,
    (2) get an error, (3) as now DB is broken, find the last backup and
    restore it).

    I know that newer versions of MySQL are better and I need to re-
    evaluate my stand on that (and upgrade the server to Fedora Core 4),
    but my intuition still tells me to avoid MySQL on my servers :-)

    > have you considered a home grown system?

    In fact I did. But then I thought it was stupid to write one from
    scratch if there is dozens out there available for free. Now I am
    starting to think that I may have been wrong on that :-)

    Andrus