beginners struggle

From: Korbinian Bachl (korbinia..hiskyworld.de)
Date: Sat Nov 26 2005 - 06:13:01 EST

    Hi All,
    Hi Andrus,

    as you know im new to that ORM and cayenne, and so i have still a hard time
    to step behind most things.
    Some things that should be made more "newbie"-friendly would be:

    - attached help in modeler (i spend many time on the Cayenne Homepage just
    for looking through the Guides to find out what this specific button would
    do or why we might need it etc. )

    - direct link to PDF in downloads (me and surely many others prefer to print
    a guide out and go it through step by step instead of switching between
    windows - however i still have no clue where to find the PDFs but the one
    Andrus pointed me to some weeks ago)

    - documentation must be parallel to developement (at the current state i
    have sometime the problem that i find a "To Do..." in the Guides and or
    other docs - this might be ok for experienced users but struggles my efforts
    and surely some other newbies, too - this is similar to tapestry4, where i
    have a book covering tapestry3 but even with this combined to the pieces of
    new docs for tapestry4 i just have a very hard time)

    - more explained subjects (e.g.: Modeler Guide 1.3:

    "DataDomain:
    Each DataDomain is an abstraction of a logical data source, possibly
    spreading multiple physical databases. cayenne.xml file lists DataDomains
    present in the project. Most projects will contain only a single domain.
    DataDomain button creates a new DataDomain in the currently open project."

    even tough i've read it several times i still dont know when it makes sence
    to have more than 1 or why i ever would need it - i mean if we have 2 DB's
    my "logical" understanding would be that need 2 DataDomains and if i've only
    1 DB i see no need for it all over - but in part 2 it tells me it can
    possible spread multi DB's... some small examples would be great)

    I hope you dont take it as critic but see what problems and questions arise,

    Regards

    Korbinian