Re: Dataview: implementing master-datail view with combos. Cache problem ?

From: Ahmed Mohombe (amohomb..ahoo.com)
Date: Sun Dec 04 2005 - 09:20:38 EST

    > I think you are still missing or ignoring the point of my earlier
    > posts.
    Sorry, I was not ignoring them, I was just missing the point :(.

    > I do not argue with your ideas, in fact I agree with most of
    > them.
    Thank you. I just had the impression that I was overseeing something obvious,
    and got no argues, cause it was evident for everybody else.

    > It is just that I know our limitations and do not want to loose
    > development focus.
    It was not very clear to me what was exactly the focus, since most of the implemented
    features in those Mx versions didn't targeted the Modeler, but the framework itself.

    However, except a few bugs, my impression was that the framework even in M4 was incredibly
    stable and usable, so (except those bugs) for an increased productivity and Cayenne acceptance, only
    the Modeler would need more attention.

    > IMO the best way to achieve goals that you outlined is to work together
    > on CayenneModeler plugin architecture, decoupling the core Cayenne
    > persistence engine from important, yet independent and external things
    > such as DataViews.
    This sounds very interesting.
    I am very curious how such an architecture would look like.

    All the plug-in architectures I've seen so far look very monstrous and complicated.
    Off topic: only Tonic - "http://opensymphony.com/tonic/" looks like simple enough plug-in
    architecture, but:
    - it's for Web/J2EE applications.
    - from the activity, it looks like it's abandonware.

    > This is the only way we can scale our open source
    > development effort.
    > Growing all the GUI features inside a single
    > monolithic project is not realistic anymore.
    Well you are right of course. My idea of "integrating" DVModeler into the Modeler, was more
    from a user perspective (not implementation or project management perspective). The idea was that
    the users knows it has only one but fantastic tool, (something like WebObjects was), and that's all
    - just use it - and "develop with pleasure!" :).

    Thanks in advance,

    Ahmed.