Re: Select Query on Table with no Primary Key

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Fri Jun 08 2007 - 02:38:34 EDT

    On Jun 8, 2007, at 7:01 AM, Craig L Russell wrote:

    > Just FYI, when JDO reads data from tables without PK, it internally
    > creates a unique id, similar to a generated PK, for the objects
    > that it reads and these ids are discarded when no longer needed.
    > The fact that the mapping is for tables without PK is known by the
    > code that creates the temporary ids.
    >
    > Craig

    Hi Craig,

    I can probably implement this in Cayenne in about 30 minutes, as
    Cayenne has a notion of "temporary id" (normally used for new
    uncommitted objects). The problem of course is uniquing. So say if a
    DB row is fetched from a table via a query, resulting in object A,
    and then later the same row is navigated to via a relationship from
    another object, resulting in a second object B, distinct from A. This
    breaks the fundamental assumption about object identity. So we chose
    not to go this way.

    Andrus