Re: Relationships across databases

From: Mike Kienenberger (mkienen..mail.com)
Date: Thu Jun 21 2007 - 11:15:27 EDT

    I think Juergen might be right in that you can save across databases
    without an issue -- it'll only be querying that causes a problem.

    However, you might have to force your own database operation sorting
    algorithm to be sure everything works. But this is just speculation
    on my part.

    However, I disagree with Juergen's comments of "I think this special
    problem has to be solved by YOU and not by the cayenne-team" -- it's
    probably true in this instance (since there's no built-in support in
    Cayenne), but there's no reason that Cayenne could not attempt to
    solve it down the road.

    The need to work simultaneously with heterogeneous databases is a real
    one, and will probably only increase as time passes. I'm fortunate
    in that in my own scenario, all of the databases involved are Oracle
    databases on the same server, and Oracle provides a way to link the
    databases together transparently at the database level.