Re: ORM Comparison

From: Robert Zeigler (robert..uregumption.com)
Date: Thu Aug 09 2007 - 16:41:07 EDT

    On Aug 9, 2007, at 8/93:18 PM , Tomi N/A wrote:

    > 2007/8/9, Joe Baldwin <jfbaldwi..arthlink.net>:
    >
    >> Things change very quickly in the OpenSource world so perhaps I could
    >> have made a mistake, however, I don't think that I am that far off
    >> the mark. Is there a white paper that might discuss the differences
    >> (couldn't find one at the Hibernate site)? Does anyone have an
    >> opinion?
    >
    > It's hard to compare the two seeing as most people use one or the
    > other.
    > I use cayenne in my projects: I didn't know much about cayenne or
    > hibernate when I chose (2-3 years back).
    > At the moment, I'm considering using hibernate in (at least) some of
    > my applications because I've run into scalability issues I couldn't
    > find a satisfactory solution for: I need to process tens of thousands
    > of objects in memory so that I can generate reports. I got less than
    > satisfactory results with cayenne, but I see hibernate has at least
    > some (declarative support for large datasets:

    Hm... I recently wrote an app that involved processing large numbers
    of rows
    (to the tune of about 250,000 currently, and sure to increase rapidly).
    Granted, I had to code a little more carefully... create "throw away"
    data contexts
    for some operations, etc. But the app runs quite nicely with cayenne.
    What performance issues did you encounter?

    > http://www.hibernate.org/hib_docs/reference/en/html/batch.html
    > http://www.hibernate.org/hib_docs/entitymanager/reference/en/html/
    > batch.html
    > Also, the modeler provides rather limited functionality when updating
    > (rather than regenerating) a mapping which is a fairly common
    > operation in my environment.

    Hm, I'm going to assume that you're referring to updating an existing
    database schema that already has data in it?
    I'm curious if hibernate has some solution to this problem?