Re: Strange Exception

From: Gary Jarrel (garyjarre..mail.com)
Date: Fri Jan 11 2008 - 20:44:24 EST

    Thank you for the quick reply!

    On Jan 12, 2008 12:22 PM, Aristedes Maniatis <ar..sh.com.au> wrote:

    > On 12/01/2008, at 11:42 AM, Gary Jarrel wrote:

    > > at org.apache.cayenne.access.DataContext$1.visitToOne(
    > > DataContext.java:599)
    >
    > Hmm... the line in question is:
    >
    > Map idParts = target.getObjectId().getIdSnapshot();
    >
    > I can't imagine why the objectId for the target (toOne) record is
    > null. (target can't be null in that bit of code.) Perhaps you can
    > examine the contents of your context at that point a bit further to
    > glean more information.

    I have looked at that line as well and it didn't make sense to me on how it
    could throw a NPE especially given that it tends to work most of the time!
    I'll investigate in the debugger in a minute and will report.

    > As for your question about handling the exception, it sounds like the
    > easiest approach is to throw out the context and create a new one. Are
    > you using one context per logged in web session?

    I tend to use the WebApplicationContextFilter to handle thread binding of
    the data context. Is there another strattegy for disposing of the data
    context for every request? As I do not thinl that the
    WebApplicationContextFilter actually disposes of the context!

    > Interesting site by the way: I've done a bit of work for real estate
    > agents and it was unusual to find technology literate agents.

    Thank you! :) I will second that about real estate agents. I do both real
    estate and IT (yes I know it sounds strange) and the contrast in how people
    respond to you when you tell them that you are a real estate agent vs an IT
    consultant is astonishing! My advice is to stick to IT :)

    > Cheers
    > Ari Maniatis

    Thank you for the reply!
    Gary